Maharashtra on Tuesday saw a big jump in Covid cases with 18,466 new infections, up by 51 per cent compared to yesterday (12,160).
Mumbai too recorded a surge of 10,860 infections (34 per cent higher than Monday) with 89 per cent asymptomatic cases.
Here is your Top 10 point cheat sheet on this big story:
- Maharashtra recorded 20 Covid deaths in the last 24 hours. Of the total fresh cases in Mumbai, 834 patients needed hospitalisation, the daily bulletin shows, further highlighting that 52 patients needed medical oxygen too.
- Omicron, the new highly contagious variant, is behind the current surge in cases in big cities, including Mumbai, experts believe. Maharashtra has registered the highest number of cases of the new variant in the country.
- Maharashtra has so far reported 653 patients infected with Omicron, and most of them have been from Mumbai (408), followed by Pune (71). In the last 24 hours, 70 new Omicron infections were logged by the state.
- Across the state, 3,98,391 people are in home quarantine, according to the daily bulletin.
- While speaking to NDTV, Mumbai Mayor Kishori Pednekar said that India’s financial capital is ready to face even a “tsunami” of cases.
- “We have followed the WHO guidelines. We have jumbo quarantine centres ready. While the city and Maharashtra will do its best to contain the spread, even if a tsunami comes, we should be ready,” she told NDTV.
- The Mayor also told NDTV that lessons were learnt from the shortage of hospital beds and medical oxygen during the second Covid wave. “We noted the gaps last time. We are now ready for the third wave.”
- Presently, the city has over 47,000 active cases; a total of 4,491 patients are hospitalised.
- Across the city, 16 containment zones have been identified and 369 buildings are currently sealed.
- Some experts are of the view that Omicron causes only mild symptoms. However, data and details linked to the new variant are still emerging.
Overall India reported 58,097 new Covid-19 cases and 534 deaths in the 24 hours ending 9 am Wednesday.
With 15,389 recoveries, the active cases in the country stood at 2,14,004. A total of 2,135 cases of Omicron variant of coronavirus have been detected in the country so far. For more updates stay tuned to UrbanAsian.