If you haven’t tried Korean sheet masks yet, you’re really missing out on a good thing! They’re super effective, easy to use, affordable, and there are a variety of options for every skin type and concern. They even come in the cutest little packages that you can take anywhere. What more could you want?
Sheet masks are like a gateway product to draw you into the vast world of Korean skincare. It’s like having a mini facial- complete with all the brightening, hydrating, and smoothing effects you could want- in under 20 minutes.
Whether you’ve got acne prone skin or aging skin, there are a multitude of Korean sheet masks perfect for you. But with the vast amount of options to choose from, it’s hard to know where to start. Here’s your no-nonsense guide to using Korean sheet masks, including how to choose the best one for your skin!
What are sheet masks?
If you’ve never used a sheet mask before, you might be wondering what they are. Sheet masks include a piece of face shaped material that has been soaked in a highly concentrated skin serum or essence. The material is usually made of fiber, paper, or gel and it’s cut to conform to the shape of your face. There are precut holes for the nose, eyes, and mouth, allowing you to breathe and see during the entire experience.
How do sheet masks work?
Sheet masks are incredibly effective, which is why they’ve become so popular across the globe. When you place the sheet over your face, the sheet holds the beneficial ingredients against your skin and prevents them from evaporating.
In fact, the sheet allows the serum to penetrate your skin longer so it can nourish your skin more deeply. After 15 minutes, your skin will be plump, hydrated, brightened, and more… depending on the active ingredients in the mask you chose.
Rather than rinsing the mask away after your treatment, the serum is massaged into the skin where it can continue to work its magic.
How often should you use a sheet mask?
You can use sheet masks as little or as much as you want. Some women use them every day, others once a seek, and some save them for special occasions. Or, you could simply assess your skin each day and use a sheet mask anytime you feel your skin needs a little TLC. Many women like to keep a variety of sheet masks on hand to address concerns as they come up.
How do sheet masks fit into my skin care routine?
If you’re already double cleansing and using toner, an essence, serums, and moisturizer, you might be wondering where sheet masks fit into the routine. Typically, sheet masks are applied after cleanser and toner, but before treatments and moisturizers.
If the sheet mask has lightweight ingredients, you can use it in the morning before you apply makeup. But, sheet masks with rich, creamy ingredients are better for evening because the ingredients can continue to soak in while you sleep.
Getting the Most from Your Sheet Mask
Here are some tips to help you get the most from your sheet mask.
- Always apply your sheet mask to freshly washed skin.
- Don’t leave your sheet mask on longer than the manufacturer recommends. This could lead to irritation or clogged pores and breakouts.
- Don’t apply your mask directly out of the package. Open the package, remove the mask, and gently squeeze the essence back into the package. Now apply the essence to your face and add the sheet over top to seal everything in. If there’s any essence left over, you can apply it to your neck, chest, and even the backs of your hands. When you take the mask off, be sure to massage any remaining essence into your skin. You don’t want to waste a drop!
- When applying the mask, start at your forehead and work your way down the face. Once you have it properly placed over your nose, eyes, and mouth, spend a few moments pressing it into your face.
How to Choose the Perfect Sheet Mask for Your Skin Type
The first step to choosing the perfect sheet mask is to find one that’s formulated for your skin type. Here’s what to look for:
- Oily skin: If you have oily skin, you’ll want a sheet mask that purifies the skin and regulates oil. Yogurt, charcoal, and clay are all excellent ingredients to look for because they unclog pores and regulate oil production.
- Acne-prone skin: Charcoal, tea tree oil, and green tea are all excellent choices for acne prone skin because they’re antibacterial. Aloe vera and snail mucin are also good options because they fight inflammation and reduce redness.
- Sensitive skin: If your skin is sensitive, watch for harmful ingredients that could cause irritation. Stick to natural ingredients and avoid fragrances, alcohol, and preservatives.
- Dry/mature skin: Dry and mature skin will love sheet masks that contain hydrating skin care oils, hyaluronic acid, squalene, and ceramides. Ingredients like vitamin C, niacinamide, and licorice root extract are great choices for brightening tired, dull skin.
Targeted Ingredients for Specific Skin Concerns
Peach & Lily offers sheet masks with a wide range of beneficial ingredients to tackle just about any skin concern. Here are some key ingredients to look for when shopping for your perfect sheet mask, depending on your skincare goals.
- Citrus peel oils: Citrus peel oils, such as orange and grapefruit, are natural exfoliants. They buff away dull flaky skin, leaving it smoother, brighter, and glowing.
- Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid pulls moisture to the skin. It leaves the skin looking restored, hydrated, and plump without being oily or heavy.
- Caffeine: Look for caffeine in your sheet mask if you want to increase blood flow and circulation to reduce puffiness and brighten the skin.
- Retinol: Retinol is an excellent treatment for fine lines and wrinkles. It exfoliates, tightens, boosts circulation, and increases collagen production.
- CoQ10: CoQ10 is a potent antioxidant that fortifies the skin against environmental damage. It also reduces hyperpigmentation and scarring.
- Floral extracts: Geranium, chamomile, honeysuckle and other floral extracts are added to sheet masks for their anti-inflammatory benefits. They also soothe, calm, and nourish to fight active blemishes and prevent future breakouts.
- Ginseng: Ginseng is excellent for stimulating collagen and elastin production. It can improve firmness and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It’s also amazing for brightening the skin.
- Willow bark and witch hazel: These two ingredients are often included together because they’re super soothing and balancing to the skin. They also control oil to help fight breakouts.
- Salicylic Acid: This is another amazing ingredient for clarifying acne prone skin and reducing breakouts.
Now that you’re familiar with the basics of using and choosing the perfect Korean sheet mask, have fun with them! Experiment with different masks to see which ones give you the best results. All of your friends will be wondering how you got your skin so smooth, clear, and glowing overnight!