Sonam Kapoor Ahuja has made a mark for herself as someone who speaks her mind.
A staunch supporter of climate change awareness, Sonam herself has been mindful about her lifestyle choices.
Whether it is fashion or food, this voice of change has been known to encourage the vegan philosophy. To raise awareness not only about animal cruelty but also global warming.
Today, as we observe World Humanitarian Day and focus on the climate crisis. And the vulnerable population hit by the climate emergency. We take a look back at five times Sonam Kapoor sounded the alarm on the evils of climate change.
1) Inspired by Greta Thunberg’s movement, Sonam Kapoor took to her social media to share tips on how to go green. From saying goodbye to meat, recycling products, thrift shopping, switching to reusable products. And energy-efficient light bulbs, conserving water and planting more trees – Sonam was full of green wisdom!
2) When Manhattan Union Square installed a digital clock signalling massive climate change. Sonam once again tried to raise awareness on the glaring fact that climate change is real. The digital clock indicates how long we have until it’s too late for us to save the planet from climate disaster. Sonam shared a picture of the clock and emphasised on how this countdown is nothing to celebrate or rejoice.
3) Even before Greta Thunberg was a household name, Sonam made everyone sit up and take notice as early as 2015 by getting #AngryAboutClimateChange. Often touted as the voice of change, she was a part of the week-long Champions for Earth initiative.
Here, she diligently served the mission of planting a million trees around the world in order to save the community from the hazardous effects of climate change. Her Hollywood counterparts on this mission included the likes of Matt Damon and Ian Somerhalder.
4) Preserving the biodiversity of the planet is a part of conserving the climate – and Sonam Kapoor knows it all too well. That, coupled with the fact that Sonam Kapoor loves animals, made her team up with PETA. To ask for a ban on the classroom dissection of animals for university life sciences and zoology students.
She took the fight straight to the Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. She urged him to retain the long-standing ban.
5) Recently, in July 2021, Sonam Kapoor shared a post by The Guardian. It consisted of 10 pictures of the climate crisis and extreme weather across the globe with the hashtag #ThisIsNotADrill
Well, you heard her – this is not a drill! It’s about time we listen to her and took some serious action…