Director Yash Chopra was rightfully known as the King of Romantic films. Every one of his movies made us believe in love and that each of us had a soulmate out there. No movie reflected this notion more so than the epic YRF movie, Dil To Pagal Hai, starring Shahrukh Khan, Madhuri Dixit, and Karisma Kapoor. The movie had it all – perfect cast, great songs, and an endearing storyline. The film swept most of the major categories at the year’s Filmfare Awards — Best Film – Yash Chopra; Best Actor – Shahrukh Khan; Best Actress – Madhuri Dixit; Best Supporting Actress – Karisma Kapoor; Best Music Director – Uttam Singh; Best Art Direction -Sharmishta Roy; Best Dialogue – Aditya Chopra! Today (October 31) marks 18 years of this romantic film. Can you believe it released way back in 1997? To celebrate, here are my top 5 reasons – in no particular order – why we love Dil To Pagal Hai!
(5) Even non-Indians love this movie! When Bill Clinton was on his way to India years ago, this was the first movie his staff showed him!
(4) The film solidified Shiamak Davar as one of the top choreographers in Bollywood! Which other dance master could give us “Le Gayi”?
(3) The movie made us believe matches really are made in heaven… We loved Rahul (Shahrukh Khan) and Pooja (Madhuri Dixit) together. They looked so good together!
(2) Of course, although we loved SRK and Madhuri together, Nisha (Karisma Kapoor) and Rahul would have made a cute pair too! DTPH is one for the history books because it is one of the few movies that had Shahrukh Khan and Karisma Kapoor romantically paired with one another. Sure, they didn’t end up together, but had some great chemistry!
(1) DTPH gave us this epic show down between two of the ’90s top dancers – Madhuri Dixit and Karisma Kapoor.