Yogurt is the new ‘superfood’, providing an array of nutritional and health benefits (as a new study from British researchers suggests). Amongst these, it can help prevent diabetes, aid the body’s fight against cancer and boost the metabolism. According to numerous scientists and notably Eli Metchnikoff’s work, incorporating it into everyday cooking as part of a balanced diet can also lead to a longer life.
The numerous beneficial properties of yogurt are well known by South Asians, who have been using yogurt in recipes since 1000 B.C, offering an array of creative and flavour-some dishes.
Iconic Pakistani restaurant Salt’n Pepper shares 5 top tips on how best to incorporate yogurt into home cooking resulting in healthier and tastier meals.
1. Swapping cream for yogurt in curries gives a creamy and thick texture to the dish without being rich and overpowering.
2. Using yogurt to create dips such as ‘Raita’ as an easy alternative to oily sauces. These dips are extremely versatile and can be customized to cater to every taste.
3. Adding a drop of yogurt to your marinade will enhance the taste. By doing this, the spices and herbs will penetrate in the meat quicker and bring all the flavors together.
4. Drinking Lassi is an efficient way to introduce yogurt into your daily diet. This delicious beverage can be drunk sweet or sour and is traditionally consumed at lunch to help with digestion.
5. Mixing in a generous amount of yogurt to fresh dough when making naan breads, creates a softer mixture, resulting in a end product that is noticeably fluffier and lighter, improving taste and easing digestion..
Salt’n Pepper London is the first overseas restaurant of Pakistan’s revered Salt’n Pepper Group. The group was established over 30 years ago by the renowned hotelier, restaurateur and food writer Mr. Mahmood Akbar, with the first restaurant launch in Lahore in 1983. The restaurant group has since become a well-respected household name and is considered Pakistan’s most recognized and distinguished hospitality brand, with ten restaurants in most major cities in the country.