Being on any diet can be challenging, especially when one travels. Several of you wonder how is it possible to be on a raw food lifestyle (as I would like to call it) when one travels. It’s pretty easy, and affordable. You just have to be prepared and creative. Here are a few tips.
KNOW THE PLACE
Know your travel destination. I am not talking about fun things to do. But, know the climate, vegetation, etc. Research on the the types of fruits and vegetables available and know what’s in season. Try finding out nearby organic stores. Make sure the place you live in serves affordable fruits or pick a place which is close by to an organic market. If the place you are staying does not have a refrigerator, buy only fruits. Sounds a bit tedious, but you got to do, what you got to do.
Drink lots of water! I know, flight attendees give you micro-mini cups- which isn’t enough. Get yourself 1-2 bottles of water after going through security. You can carry dry fruits, seeds, and green powders to use in flight. Most of the flights serve bananas and apples. You could make your own raw bars to take in flight. Flying is a great time to fast- you are in one place for 17+ hours and you don’t need to consume much food. You could be on a water or lime juice diet during the flight . Fasting has may also reduce jet lag effect (not proven). Ask for a fruit meal in flight, always!
WHAT CAN YOU TAKE?
- Dry fruits : Dates, cranberries, Figs, Apricots.
- Seeds: Sesame seeds, Chia seed, Flaxseed, Hemp seeds,Pumpkin seeds.
- Nuts: Almonds, Walnuts, Brazilian nuts and more
- Fruits: Bananas, Apples, Mangoes, etc.
- Maple syrup: Mix a few tablespoons of maple syrup with water or lime juice. It’s packed with minerals and cleanses your system.
I have a few favorites which I travel with during all short and long trips. Especially in places where I can’t find organic greens or have no time to remove bacteria, naturally.
- Dates – I travel with a big box of Medjool or Arabian dates
- Flaxseed oil – High in omega 3 and Omega 6
- Green powder- These are great supplements , when you are on the go or don’t have access to organic greens. My favorite is the Vitamineral green (click here for details).
- Make my own raw bars or sprouted protein powder and put in a ziploc bag
Above all- Get excited about the new fruits you get to eat. Don’t make your travel or visiting new places a food eating fest. Divert your focus to other things, and stick to eating natural and simple.
It is possible to be on raw food while traveling. Just be curious, plan well and eat little if you have to and you can fast for 1-2 days, as well.
Where there is a will, there is a way- A raw one!