Tickets are selling out fast to the plethora of award-winning, controversial, and ground-breaking movies that are part of the stellar line-up of the 12th annual New York Indian Film Festival (NYIFF), the longest-running and most prestigious showcase of Indian films in the United States.
Presented by the Indo-American Arts Council, NYIFF 2012 will take place from May 23 to 27 at the home for independent film, Tribeca Cinemas in Lower Manhattan. The opening night red carpet screening of Bedabrata Pain’s CHITTAGONG will take place at the iconic Paris Theater on May 23, followed by a benefit gala.
The centerpiece film, right off the cutting room floor, is the world premiere of Rituparno Ghosh’s CHITRANGADA, which will have two screenings at Tribeca Cinemas. The closing night red carpet screening of Anurag Kashyap’s GANGS OF WASSEYPUR will be presented at NYU’s Skirball Center for the Performing Arts (566 Laguardia Place), followed by an awards ceremony and after party sponsored by Wells Fargo.
Other Festival Highlights Include:
• Oscar-winning documentary SAVING FACE from Pakistan, as well as award-winning films from South Africa, Australia, and Sri Lanka;
• In addition to films in Hindi and English, regional-language films in Tamil, Bengali, and Marathi;
• The controversial Kashmiri film INSHALLAH FOOTBALL;
• An exciting secret film, which will be revealed during the festival;
• Special tribute to the late Dev Anand, HUM DONO RANGEEN; and
• Shyam Benegal’s retrospective trilogy: ZUBEIDA, MAMMO, SARDARI BEGUM.
Celebrities Anticipated to Attend & Walk the Red Carpets Include:
Madhur Jaffrey & Sanford Allen
Tracey Jackson & Glen Horowitz
Shyam & Nira Benegal
For the complete line-up of films, ticket information, and synopses, please visit www.iaac.us.