2011 is quickly coming to an end, but I couldn’t let the year close out without providing you with a top 10 countdown of this year’s hot tunes. So, without any further delay, check out the countdown below!
(10) Ready – “Dhinka Chika” – This song may have fairly mediocre lyrics, but the beat captured the hearts of desis everywhere. In addition to giving us the pairing of Salman Khan and Asin for the first time in Ready, the movie further solidified Salman Khan as the current King Khan of Bollywood.
(9) Patiala House “Laung Da Lashkara” – If you’re a lover of the urban desi scene, then you probably love this song (and movie) because our very own Queen of Urban Rap, Hard Kaur, featured on the song and as a lead in the movie! This was the perfect song for a movie focused on Punjabi culture.
(8) Ladies v/s Ricky Bahl – “Thug Le” – Of course, ladies – specifically Anoushka – beat out Ricky Bahl (portrayed by Ranveer Singh) even in the music countdown! Check out the track below!
(7) Kolaveri Di – Personally, I’m not a huge “Kolaveri Di” fan, but there’s no denying that the track dominated the 2011 year. A version was released by Sonu Niigaam’s son Nevaan and another version by UK Arjun also released. I have included the original and Arjun version below as they have been exceptionally popular.
(6) Tanu Weds Manu – “Sadi Gali” – Admit it, even though this song has been overplayed, you’re still in love with it! “Sadi Gali” quickly became a summer anthem for 2011, and even once the summer ended, this song enjoyed air play and play at weddings.
(5) Dirty Picture – “Ooh La La” – Again, the lyrics are fairly simple, but the beat is sick! It’s so danceable! Hit play below and dance your way to the end of 2011!
(4) Mausam – “Saj Dhaj Ke” – Shahid Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor made an adorable on-screen pair. The chemistry between them is readily apparent in the movie and songs like “Rabba Mein Toh“. While Shahid and Sonam may have stolen each others hearts in the movie, it was Saj Dhaj Ke that stole the hearts of listeners.
(3) Zindagi Na Milege Dobara “Senorita” – It’s always interesting when stars sing for themselves. The only one who consistently used to successfully sing and act was the legendary Kishore Kumar. Farhan Akhtar seems to have a similar ability to produce hit numbers. After all he sang and acted in Rock On! which produced several hit songs. In Zindagi Na Milege Dobara, all the credit can’t simply go to Farhan as fellow actors Abhay Deol and Hrithik Roshan also donned their singing caps. The end result – pure magic!
(2) Ra.One – “Chhamak Challo” – The combination of US artist Akon with Bollywood superstars Shahrukh Khan and Kareena Kapoor proved to be one sizzling combination! I doubt there’s any desi any where without this song playing in their music playlist.
(1) Bodyguard – “Teri Meri” – 2011 saw Salman Khan movies continue to get blockbuster gold. So, it is of no surprise that our number one in 2011 is from the Salman Khan – Kareena Kapoor movie, Bodyguard. This romantic ballad topped all the dance numbers to claim the coveted number one spot!
Choosing a top 10 list for 2011 was quite a task as there were many good candidates for the list. However, since this was a top 10, I couldn’t include everyone on the official countdown. Nevertheless, I have provided you with the videos for the songs that were hot, but missed out being on the official list.
Almost Made the List:
Ladies v/s Ricky Bahl – “Aadat Se Majboor”
Ra.One – “Criminal”
Rockstar – “Sadda Haq”
Mausam – “Rabba Mein Toh”
Keep it locked to UrbanAsian.com in the new year!