My last Top 10 post gave you a glimpse into the top 10 songs of year, but now it’s time to rank the movies as to their commercial success. Which movies did you all see? What were your favorites? Let us know!
10) Don 2 – Gross Earnings (63 Crore approx. worldwide) – Don 2 was hyped as being the biggest movie of the year, but it’s high budget, flashy scenes, and even the presence of Shahrukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra couldn’t propel it to the top of the list. The movie got mixed reviews. Many were disappointed and said this movie killed the franchise, but there are some who loved the movie. Regardless, it made 63 crore gross!
9) Rockstar – Gross Earnings (92 Crore approx. worldwide) – Rockstar proved that Ranbir Kapoor is here to stay. With each movie he has displayed versatility and control in his acting – a true Kapoor! Despite being a dark movie, its makers saw the light – 92 crore worth!
8) Delhi Belly – Gross Earnings (92 Crore approx. worldwide) – This movie was a surprise hit of the year, but it’s unique look and concept helped it gain in popularity.
7) Murder 2 – Gross Earnings (92 Crore approx. worldwide) – While the sequel to Don 2 didn’t capture as much of an audience as it wished to, the sequel to Murder did much better than expected. In a year that produced more rom-coms, Murder 2 found success despite being a thriller.
6) Singham – Gross Earnings (112 Crore approx. worldwide) – Police-themed movies seem to be back in style in Bollywood. Last year, Dabangg stole the show, and this year, Ajay Devgan’s Singham rode on the genre’s popularity to taste success. Ajay Devgan’s new 6-pack look also seemed to draw in the crowd.
5) Ready – Gross Earnings (179 Crore approx. worldwide) – Salman Khan has been on a roll the past couple years. This year, 2011, was no different. His comedy movie Ready, which paired him opposite Asin was appreciated well by audiences around the world.
4) The Dirty Picture – Gross Earnings (73 Crore approx. (Till Date)) – Vidya Balan shed all inhibitions for this movie. The movie pushed Indian cinema to new limits. It is rumored that Vidya will snag all the major Best Actress awards for this movie, but only time will tell!
3) Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara – Gross Earnings (152 Crore (approx)) – It’s no surprise that Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara made it to this list. After all, the movie had hunks Hrithik Roshan, Farhan Akthar, and Abhay Deol, all in addition to the sexy Katrina Kaif. This was a coming of age film which resonated will with the youth audience.
2) Bodyguard – Gross earnings (229 Crore (approx)) – The presence of Salman Khan and Kareena Kapoor helped Bodyguard become one of the biggest grossing movies of 2011. While audiences in the ’90s and early 2000s loved the pairing of Salman Khan and Karisma Kapoor, these last few years, it is the pairing of Salman Khan and Karisma’s sister – Kareena Kapoor, that audiences are going gaga over.
1) Ra.One – Gross earnings (240 Crore Worldwide) – While “Chammak Challo” lost out to “Teri Meri” from Bodyguard in the movie song list, Ra.One proved the victor when it comes to money. This sci-fi thriller starring Shahrukh Khan took Indian Cinema where it has never gone before. Kareena Kapoor also starred in the movie and seems to be lucky for all the Khans! Not to mention, her acting is always perfect! As for merchandising, Ra.One, can be considered the Star Wars of India as it launched several action figures and games to accompany the movie.
Based on the variety of movies released in 2011, we can be sure 2012 is going to be even sicker!