We are actively spending more time in our home as a result of social distancing guidelines. Our homes may start to feel a little cramped as we desire more open spaces. Luckily, online interior design service Modsy’s VP of Style Alessandra Wood has shared her 8 easy, free ways to rearrange your space to make your home feel bigger, from readjusting your curtains to pulling your furniture off the wall. Modsy is also a great way to visualize new layouts as it creates photorealistic 3D designs of your actual space and you can seamlessly “try on” pieces before purchasing.
1) Pull your furniture off the wall. While it seems like pushing all of your furniture against the wall is the best way to create a big, open feel, you can actually make the space feel bigger by creating multiple zones within a large, open space.
In the before and after living room space pictured below, the sofa against the wall creates a large, unusable space, and a TV that’s quite far away. By simply rearranging the room and pulling the sofa away from the wall, the back of the room can become a completely different area that can enable additional ways to use the space.
2) Hang your curtains long and high. If you hang your curtains a bit above the window, closer to the ceiling, and let them hit the floor, you’ll create the illusion of higher ceilings.
Shop this Modern Rustic Living Room With Pops Of Black look!
3) Use a large rug to anchor your furniture in the living room. A 5’x7’ rug can make your living space feel a bit tight visually. Layer a larger neutral rug under your small rug to create more substantial feel for the space.
Shop this Rustic Living Room With a Casual Layout look!
4) Declutter your space. One of the best ways to make your space feel larger, more open, and brighter is to get rid of clutter. Make sure you get rid of any piles on the floor, and edit out the decor throughout the room.
5) Let there be light. Use lighting to brighten the room and eliminate dark corners that might make the room feel cramped.
Shop this Updated Traditional Living Room Design look!
6) Hang mirrors in your living room. Mirrors allow more light in the room, which creates a brighter more open feel. They also create a visual illusion of more space, which can trick the eye into feeling like the room is bigger.
Shop this Modern Farmhouse Design look!
7) Keep it small. If you have an expandable dining table, keep it at its smallest setting.
8) Utilize storage. Move a storage piece into your entryway to capture clutter, hide bags and shoes, and allow for the ultimate organized drop zone.
Shop this Spring Entryway: Modern Rustic look!