ZEE5 launches in the United States, ushers in a new era of South Asian entertainment
- Platform unveiled at a launch event with Priyanka Chopra Jonas as a special guest.
- ZEE5 subscribers can stream the largest selection of originals as well as movies across Indian languages. This includes upcoming blockbuster film RRR, and library titles from Zee Network channels along with Pakistani and Bangladeshi shows.
- Existing library of 130,000 hours of content; Announced 50+ theatrical releases as well as 40+ originals this year.
ZEE5 Launch Party:
ZEE5, the world’s largest streaming service for South Asian content, launched on June 22 in the U.S. This launch opened up a world of multicultural entertainment for the South Asian diaspora and as well as mainstream audiences across America.
“The launch of ZEE5 in the U.S. is a very significant moment for us,” said Amit Goenka, President, Digital Businesses & Platforms, ZEE Entertainment. “We’ve had a long association of over two decades with this market, bringing our viewers here the best of Indian entertainment through our channels. With ZEE5, we now look to offer both these audiences and the younger demographic access to a much wider choice of premium content with our Originals, digital premieres and more, on any screen of their choice and with a completely personalized viewing experience.”
Priyanka Chopra Jonas adds to the event’s extravagance:
ZEE5’s launch announcement was made by Archana Anand, Chief Business Officer, ZEE5 Global, at an event attended by media and consumers globally. She was also joined by a special guest for the event, actor, producer, activist and entrepreneur Priyanka Chopra Jonas.
Priyanka Chopra Jonas also joined Archana in unveiling ZEE5’s upcoming content slate and its new global brand campaign “Welcome to South Asia: Stories from our world.” The campaign spotlights stories from South Asia, where even the ordinary stories are extraordinary, therefore leading to the narrative “if this is our reality, imagine our stories.”
The multiple announcements were also interspersed with conversations between Archana Anand and Priyanka Chopra Jonas. The latter commented on how streaming services have changed the landscape of content viewing. She also noted the hunger among South Asian communities to watch their own hyperlocal content and see their representation to international audiences. Jonas also commented on how streaming services were key in providing a platform for representation.
Congratulating ZEE5, Priyanka Chopra Jonas further said, “Wishing all the best to my friends at ZEE5 on their new launch. I have really enjoyed celebrating and spotlighting all the incredible talent from South Asia today. I’m looking forward to watching these storytellers entertain new audiences around the world. I will be cheering them on from the sidelines.”
Archana Anand on the launch:
Archana Anand, Chief Business Officer, ZEE5 Global, added, “Bringing ZEE5 into the U.S. is so much more than just providing the South Asian diaspora here with a mega entertainment platform through which they can access a vast library of stories. It is a powerful bridge between them, their culture, and their languages. It is also a real-time connect between them and their families; they can watch the same content across the ocean. Further, it is a platform through which their stories get showcased on an international stage. With this and the rich library of shows we have, I am also confident that we will become the preferred destination for South Asian content and woo both TV and Streaming loyalists across all age groups and across both South Asian and mainstream audiences in the shortest possible time.”
As part of the launch, the streamer announced an incredible line-up of originals and other blockbusters, across languages to release on the platform in the coming months:
- The upcoming magnum opus RRR from “Baahubali” filmmaker S.S. Rajamouli, starring N.T. Rama Rao Jr., Ram Charan, as well as Bollywood superstars Ajay Devgn and Alia Bhatt. It will release in all South Indian languages.
- Sunil Grover starrer Sunflower and Akshaye Khanna’s OTT debut State of Siege: Temple Attack.
- New seasons of ZEE5 Originals Abhay 3, Rangbaaz 3, The Test Case S2, and Code-M S2.
- Returning seasons of recently acquired TVF Originals Pitchers, Tripling, Humorously Yours, Aam Aadmi Family, and Engineering Girls available exclusively on ZEE5.
- Pankaj Tripathi’s Kaagaz and Arjun Rampal’s Nailpolish.
- Amitabh Bachchan starrer, the much-awaited film Jhund made by Nagraj Manjule.
- Tamil Releases Handcuff, Blood Money, and Vinodhiya Chiththam.
- Telugu releases Losers 2, Lol Salaam, Oka Chinna Family, and Net along with Shoot-out at Alair starring Prakash Raj.
- Bangla releases: Ladies & Gentlemen, a 10-episode Bangla web-series directed by globally renowned director Mostafa Sarwar Farooki.
- Pakistani releases: Asim Abbasi directed original series Churails, Mehreen Jabbar’s directorial venture Ek Jhoothi Love Story and Dhoop ki Deewar starring Sajal Aly and Ahad Raza Mir.
ZEE5 provides viewers with an unparalleled library of 130,000 hours of stories from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, spread across:
- 1600+ best-loved TV shows from Zee channels like Zee TV, Zee Telugu, Zee Tamil, Zee Bangla, and others
- 3500+ movies including some of the biggest Bollywood blockbusters.
- 200+ originals with some of the biggest Bollywood stars
- 600+ music, health, and lifestyle videos to be added soon and more.
This content is available in Hindi, Indian Bengali, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Marathi, Oriya, Bhojpuri, Gujarati, Punjabi, as well as Malay, Thai, Bahasa, Arabic, Urdu, and Bangladesh with key titles dubbed and/or subtitled in English.
Seamless Access anywhere at a hugely affordable price:
Users can download the ZEE5 app from:
- Google Play Store / iOS App Store
- Roku devices
- Samsung Smart TVs
- Apple TVs
- Android TVs
- Amazon Fire Stick
- ZEE5 is also available on www.ZEE5.com.
ZEE5 will be available at a highly affordable price of $6.99 for a monthly pack, as well as an annual pack discounted from $84 to a very attractive $49.99 as an introductory offer. The platform also announced a special discount for the student community with the monthly pack priced at $4.99 instead of $6.99.
Archana also called out a key strategic partnership that the streaming platform had locked in with NAAIS (North American Association of Indian Students), that will help ZEE5 build strong connects with a much younger audience.
NAAIS, a registered non-profit, aims to educate as well as mobilize over 850,000 Indian-American students and young professionals. Over the next few months, ZEE5 will partner with NAAIS. They will work with Sudhanshu Kaushik, executive director of NAAIS across multiple initiatives. This also includes student outreach programs across American universities and colleges, and philanthropic endeavors, including COVID-19 relief efforts.