Idris Elba is the name you should be aware of. Why you ask? Well, this man is not only a multi-tasker but a name associated with huge projects. On his birthday today, watch his achievements unfold right here:
- He has been nominated four times for a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Miniseries or Television Film, winning one, and was nominated five times for a Primetime Emmy Award.
- He is the face of ‘Thor’, for which he received BAFTA and Golden Globe nominations for Best Supporting Actor.
- Apart from that, he voiced Chief Bogo in ‘Zootopia’, Shere Khan in ‘The Jungle Book’, Fluke in ‘Finding Dory’ and played the role of Krall in ‘Star Trek Beyond’.
- He will make his directorial debut with an adaptation of the 1992 novel Yardie by Victor Headley.
- Elba is a DJ under the moniker DJ Big Driis (or Big Driis the Londoner) and a hip hop and soul musician.
- In 2016, he was named in the Time 100 list of the Most Influential People in the World.
- In 2009, he starred in the horror film ‘The Unborn’ and in ‘Obsessed’, a thriller that had him cast opposite Beyoncé. The latter was a box office success, taking $29 million in its opening weekend.
- In 2015, Elba appeared as Heimdall in the superhero blockbuster ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’, directed by Joss Whedon. Elba also starred alongside Abraham Attah in the film ‘Beasts of No Nation’ which premiered in select theaters and on Netflix. He earned a Golden Globe Award nomination for the Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture as well as a BAFTA nomination for a Supporting Actor award in the Film category.
- He played Nelson Mandela in the biographical film ‘Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom’ (2013).